Mr. 3000

First Yankee to achieve 3000 hits!







Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Boss

Today we lost a GIANT of a Man. Recently I read Bill Maddens book The Last Lion of Baseball. The Book made me angry it made me cry and it made me reminisce on all the difficult years and the great years as a Yankee fan.

The Boss was born July 4, 1930 he was 80 years young and this morning he passed away of heart attack. We will never forget Mr. Steinbrenner! Love him or hate him he was the greatest owner in sports history. I can sit here and write all the negative things you will read from everyone about the Boss, but I will let others do so. Let all the Yankee Haters write negatively about him, but in doing so they should be a shamed of themselves. He should not be a punching bag. We should celebrate his life and his great years as Yankee owner, Olympic figure and philanthropist.

To me he was greatest sports figure and arguably the most important figure in NY sports history. He donated millions of dollars to thousands of charities, he led American interest in the Olympics and was responsible for the athletes getting more money, better facilities and encouraged them when they lost and when they won.

I have been a Yankee for as long time, in the years since I fell in love with the team I saw bad teams and great teams. Behind all that was the Yankee owner. On two occasions I saw Mr. Steinbrenner one of these times he spoke to me like a regular person, I was a young man but I will never forget my encounter with the Boss.

He was polite and a man of the people, He cared about winning and about his family, about his country and most of all he was a very charitable person.

George Steinbrenner was the greatest owner of all time. We will never have another owner like him, we shall all miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment